The Ugandan army has provided support to the M23 rebel group operating in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a United Nations report seen by Reuters on Monday said, as escalating clashes there fuel fears of a new all-out conflict.
Uganda denied involvement, saying it is cooperating closely with the Congolese government forces.
The U.N. has long accused Rwanda of backing the M23, which has repeatedly seized large parts of mineral-rich eastern Congo, allegations Rwanda denied.
Congo has been riven by conflict for decades. Uganda and Rwanda invaded in 1996 and 1998 for what they said was defence against local militia groups.
Uganda is still conducting joint operations with Congolese troops against a rebel Ugandan group.
The Tutsi-led M23 rebels have been waging a fresh insurgency in Congo's militia-plagued east since 2022.
Ugandan troops were part of a regional force deployed in November 2022 to monitor a ceasefire with the M23. Congolese authorities called for the force to withdraw last year, saying it was ineffective.
.Here are the top political news stories for today.
Join in on more popular conversations.